The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is a complete package of a phone, and most probably the best Android smartphone available right now. Physically, it doesn’t look too different from 2017’s iteration of the Samsung Galaxy Note series, the Galaxy Note 8, but many internal components have been upgraded.
The biggest upgrade on this smartphone is the battery which has been bumped up to 4,000mAh. This, along with a refined camera AI, better Bixby Digital Assistant, a stylus pen that now works as a remote control, better-sounding speakers and a new cooling system that prevents overheating, the Note 9 is worth every cent of its $1000+ price tag.
- 1 The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Specs (Key):
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Price in Nigeria
- 3 Galaxy Note 9 Full Specifications
The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Specs (Key):
- Display: 6.4 inches (1,440 * 2,960 pixel resolution, ~516 PPI pixel density, ~83.4% screen-to-body ratio).
- Software: Android 8.1 Oreo with Samsung TouchWiz UI.
- Processor: Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 @2.8GHz / Samsung Exynos 9810 chipset @2.7Ghz
- Memory: 6GB / 8GB RAM, 128GB / 512GB ROM.
- Camera: Front — 8MP (with AI) | Rear — 12MP + 12MP Dual.
- Battery: 4,000mAh with QC 2.0 fast charging.
Design & Display :
The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 has the same design language as its predecessor, the Note 8; the premium feel is still present with an aluminum metal frame and glass on the back and front. The rear is glossy and attracts a lot of fingerprints, and Samsung has made sure to omit the notch that’s becoming increasingly present on many smartphones.
The display on the Note 9 is a large 6.4-inch Super AMOLED panel which has Wide Quad HD+ (1,440 * 2,960) resolution and 516 PPI pixel density. The screen is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 which also covers the smartphone’s rear.
The smartphone’s display is very vibrant, the contrast ratio is superb and the phone can easily be read even under direct sunlight. You won’t be wrong to call this the best display ever in a smartphone.
There is a hardware button on the left side of the phone, which is dedicated to the Bixby launcher. It is, however, sad that you can’t remap the button for other functions.
The smartphone also sports a fingerprint sensor on the rear below the dual camera module, but this has been shifted even lower in order to avoid accidental smudging of the camera lens when the fingerprint sensor is being used.
Something to note with the Note 9’s size is that it’s very hard to use in just one hand, and you’d find yourself dedicating your two palms to it most of the time. This won’t sound strange to you if you’re a regular Galaxy Note user, but you’d need some time adjusting if you’re coming from smaller smartphones.
Lastly, the Galaxy Note 9 possesses IP68 certification for dust and water resistance, which means you can comfortably take underwater selfies or take the phone along for a ride in the desert.
Memory & Performance :
As usual, it comes in two variants, the first targeted at markets in the EMEA region, and the second targeted at Latin America, the USA and China. The first is powered by Samsung’s octa-core Exynos 9810 processor with a clock speed of 2.7GHz and a Mali-G72 MP18 GPU, while the second utilizes Qualcomm’s latest processor, the octa-core Snapdragon 845 with a clock speed of 2.8GHz and Adreno 630 GPU.
In terms of memory and storage, there’s a variant with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of internal memory, and the top-end variant with 8GB of RAM and a whopping 512GB of internal memory. Both can take an external microSD card with a size of up to 512GB to further expand the storage.
The Samsung Note 9’s combination of a vibrant display and powerful processors makes it a great smartphone for gaming, and it possesses a new water-carbon cooling system (consisting a copper heat pipe) which greatly reduces heating on the device, even when heavy tasks are being performed on it.
There are two 12MP cameras on the rear , the main one with a variable f/1.5-2.4 aperture and dual pixel PDAF, and the secondary one with a fixed f/2.4 aperture and 2x optical zoom. An 8MP camera with a f/1.7 aperture is also present upfront for taking selfies.
There is not much difference in the basic camera quality between the Note 9 and Note 8, but the Note 9 has enhanced Artificial Intelligence features like Flaw Detection which alerts you when there are errors (blinked eye, blurry ears, etc…) in your photos.
There’s also Scene Optimizer which adjusts the color balance, contrast ratio and other parameters depending on the environment of the object you want to capture.
The Samsung Note 9 packs a 4,000mAh battery which is the first of its kind on a Galaxy Note device. With this, a Samsung Galaxy Note can now comfortably last for a whole day on a single charge even when it’s used heavily, and most times there will be extra battery juice left to start the next day.
The phone also comes with Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 2.0 fast charging technology, and though it’s old, the software has been optimized to allow faster charging than you even get in the Galaxy S9+ and Note 8!
This smartphone runs on Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box with a much refined version of Samsung’s Touchwiz UI skin layered on top. You should be expecting an Android 9.0 Pie upgrade soon, though, as this is the company’s best (and most expensive) smartphone yet and they wouldn’t want to deny their loyal customers the latest Android experience.
The smartphone comes with the S-Pen, and this year’s edition can be used to remotely control the device. There are also enhanced gestures and capabilities on-board.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Price in Nigeria
You can grab the Note 9 in most offline and online retail stores across Nigeria from #300,000.
Galaxy Note 9 Full Specifications
- Announced: August 2018.
- Available: Yes.
- SIM: Single/Dual Nano-SIM slot.
- Platform: Android Operating System, Android 8.1 Oreo with Samsung TouchWiz UI.
- Price Range: N455,000 – N350,000.
- Fingerprint: Yes, rear-mounted.
- Technology: GSM / HSDPA / LTE
- 2G Bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G Bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 (AWS) / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G Bands: Yes, LTE with VoLTE, bands 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100).
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (5CA) Cat18 1200/200 Mbps.
BODY & DISPLAY:
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours.
- Size: 6.4 inches display.
- Resolution: 1,440 * 2,960 pixels (Wide Quad HD+).
- Pixel Density: ~516 PPI.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass (Front/Back).
- Features: 18:5:9 aspect ratio.
- Dimensions: 161.9 * 76.4 * 8.8 mm.
- Weight: 201g.
- Colours: Metallic copper, Lavender purple, Ocean blue, Midnight black.
64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor.
64-bit Samsung Exynos 9810 processor.
- Processor Speed:
Snapdragon 845 – 2.8GHz.
Exynos 9810 – 2.7GHz.
Snapdragon 845 – Octa-core; 4x Mongoose M3 & 4x Cortex-A55.
Exynos 9810 – Octa-core; 4x Kryo 385 Gold & 4x Kryo 385 Silver.
- WLAN: WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, Hotspot
- Bluetooth: v5.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE, aptX.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS & GALILEO.
- USB: USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector.
- USB OTG: Yes, with Reverse Charging.
- NFC: Yes.
- FM Radio: No.
- RAM: 6GB / 8GB.
- Internal Storage: 128GB / 512GB.
- External Storage: expandable up to 512GB via microSD (hybrid).
- Rear Camera: 12MP + 12MP Dual Cameras.
- Rear Flash: Yes, dual-tone LED Flash.
- Dual Pixel PDAF.
- 2x optical zoom.
- Bokeh effect.
- Auto mode.
- F/1.5-2.4 aperture.
- Front Camera: 8MP.
- Front Flash: Yes.
- f/1.7 aperture.
- Artificial Intelligence.
- Capacity: 4,000mAh.
- Type: Li-ion battery.
- Features: n/a.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0.
- Wireless Charging: Yes, Qi/PMA wireless charging.
- Ambient Light.
- Iris scanner.
- Heart rate sensor.
- SpO2 sensor.
- – MP4/DivX/XviD/H.265 player
– HTML5 Browser
– MP3/WAV/eAAC+/FLAC player
– Photo/video editor
– Document editor.
– Samsung DeX Desktop Experience.
– ANT+ enabled.
– Bixby Digital Assistant.
– IP68 Water & Dust Resistance.